The new game, 東方地霊殿 ~Subterranean Animism. will most likely feature only Reimu and Marisa. For more details, here’s the actual announcement post from Shanghai Alice’s blog:
Touhou Project the 11th
[Touhou Chireiten ~Subterranean Animism~]
As always, 300 yen.
Since it’s a demo, I didn’t want a huge fanfare, so I’m announcing it quietly.
As always, the demo will be three stages, with no Practice Mode and no Extra Stage.
“With the spouting of geysers, the spirits of the Earth emerge. Reimu and Marisa are fine with it, but the youkai can’t allow this. Sluggishly, they go underground, to the source of the disturbance. Sealed deep within the earth are youkai with a detestable ability… what will the pair do this time?”
…or something like that. Same as always.
This time around, you can chose youkai you like. I tried to create the feeling that Reimu and Marisa are borrowing power from the distant earth above. Up until now, there hasn’t been much difference in playing style between characters, but this time, chosen youkai have different abilities that seriously impact playing styles, so players should be able to see the pros and cons of using different characters clearly.
Since actively engaging and destroying enemies will make playing a lot easier, this might be the first time where playing at a higher difficulty might actually be more simple.
Depending on what youkai you choose, the dialogue might change into something like rapid-fire stand-up comedy.
On the technical side, I’ve added the option of changing window sizes. If your computer is good enough, your window can be about twice as large as normal. In addition, you can also adjust input sensitivity and a host of other options.
Here’s a couple of screenshots:
The demo will be up for free download after Reitaisai 5.
Judging from the screenshots, we can make a few guesses:
1. Graze is back.
2. Faith, or some other third item, will make an apperance.
3. There seems to be something similar to a cellphone signal strength meter in the corner. Perhaps this denotes the extent to which Reimu or Marisa can be aided by her youkai partner above ground.
3. Two new bosses. The two spell cards are “Trap Sign [Capture Web]” (2nd screen) and “Flower Bloom [Envy Towards a Dazzling Man].” (3rd screen.) Names can’t be made out.
4. Two different power meters, set at 4.00 and 8.00 respectively.
5. MoF bomb mechanism will probably be used.
Currently no set release date.